Day 4. Diary as follows:
8.10am: Hot water & lemon
8.25am: Red Smoothie - Kale, spinach, celery, parsley, beetroot, juice from 1 blood orange and 1/2 lemon, Juvo Raw Green Protein Powder, milled flax, maca powder, pumpkin seeds. Blended together with coconut water.
Made enough to bring 500ml to work too.
10am: Raw Buckwheat-Chia-Coconut Porridge
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 1tbsp chia
- 1/3 cup thick coconut flakes
- Coconut water
- Pinch of Cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, vanilla powder
- Soak everything except the spices in coconut water overnight.
- Add spices to flavour before serving.
I wanted to try a different grain from oats, just to vary it up a bit. But as I'm liking the coconut version from yesterday, I decided to stick with the coconut flavour again today. Ran out of coconut milk, so used coconut water so it's not as coconut-y as yesterday's porridge. But still good. The warming spices make a big difference to the flavour.
11.40am: Half of the Red Smoothie + supplements.
My notes on these supplements and why from Day 2's post.
12.30pm: Handful of raw nuts
1pm: Lunch. Leftover spiralized zucchini pasta with marinara sauce from last night's dinner, and leftover kale salad from yesterday's lunch.
Topped with home-made sprouts and chopped cashews.
This was the first meal I've had since being on raw where I've thought "Ughhhhhh. When can I eat hot food again?" ...and been toying with the idea of warming some of my next meals up in the dehydrator. As long as I stay below 42 degrees Celsius, I guess I should be fine.
2.40pm: Snack. Handful of raw almond brittle + 1 banana. Feel soooooo stuffed and full/ ill from this. That's kinda weird, no?
3.30pm: Snack from Babet at Vegabond. She's now stocked up with lots of Koko coconut milk (for drinking, not for cooking), so go and get some! She loves it too and as a "thanks for the tip", gave me a little raw chocolate treat. Awwwww. Too sweet. <3 We were trying to figure out if the Koko milk was raw or not - but as it had no indication on the pack if it was pasteurised or UHT, we're assuming it is. :p
I totally wasn't hungry at all, but was offered a gift, so how could I refuse! It's so pretty with the edible flowers on top. It was kinda sweet, but it's a raw snack… so I ate it anyway. Heh. Then felt even more ill. (not because it wasn't good - it was DELICIOUS! ...but I just didn't need to eat anymore.) She sells these raw treats in her store if you're interested in trying them out.
6.50pm: Snack. Handful of nuts + remainder of Red Smoothie. Still at work. On a Friday night. Blech.
Had more conference calls tonight, and got back late. Was intending to make This Rawsome Vegan Life's raw lasagna, but it would've been too late to be eating that much. Was almost going to go to bed without eating since I wasn't hungry, but decided to cobble together a small salad instead.
9.45pm: Another too-late dinner. Spinach salad tossed with pumpkin seed-butter vinaigrette.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Avocado
- Topped with Furikake - Japanese mixture of sesame seeds and wakame seaweed
- Topped with dash of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Raw Pumpkin Seed Butter
- 1 Tbsp Brown Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Dash of sesame oil (this is technically not raw, since it's roasted, but it was just a dash for flavour)
I bought the raw pumpkin seed butter to try as it sounded good. But it really tastes kinda gnarly. There's no way I'd eat it plain on its own with anything else, so am finding ways to hide this little bit of not-so-good-tasting goodness in recipes. Turns out it was delicious in this salad dressing!
Before bed: Soak tomorrow's breakfast. Briefly thought about making something else for brekkie tomorrow since it's the weekend, but my brain is fried. I'll stick to the same old porridge.
THOUGHTS ON DAY 4:
1. You need quite a stash of tupperware or mason jars on this diet. Haha. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to making every single meal by hand and having leftovers left, right and centre. But I find I'm constantly digging around for yet another jar or tupperware to store a half-cut carrot or avocado. It's a tupperware party on my kitchen counter! (yup, too much plastic. Ugh.)
2. I was feeling really FULL today. I'm not sure where this is coming from, and maybe it's just coz I ate that banana too soon after lunch. It made me feel really full and bloated quite soon after.
3. Incidentally, I don't remember ever feeling bloated at all in the past 4 days. Some grains or pastas would do that to me, and since I've only been having soaked oats and buckwheat (both gluten-free), I haven't had that full/ bloated/ undigested feeling (until that banana today).
4. Alright, this is where it's gonna get TMI. I hope you're ready. Imma talk about my poos now. Uh huh. Buckle up. My poos. They've been green. :) The first day it happened I was all like "what?! Undigested bile? What's going on?" But since it's been happening regularly the past few days, I figured DOH. It's all the raw green veggies just making their way out. Hahaha.
5. I'm freaking out a bit about what to do for the weekend. I haven't planned out my meals yet, and there'll be no routine in the day like I have during the work week (which actually helps with planning what you'll eat when)... Plus, I'm going out for dinner with friends tomorrow night. This is where it could all go to pieces. We'll see...
So far so good I guess, I'm past the halfway point now!